Looking to Modify Your New Jersey Child Support Order? Here’s What You Should Know

Modifying Child Support in New Jersey

calculatorChild support is the court-ordered payments made by a noncustodial parent, to the custodial parent, to help support the parents’ child or children.  A child support order can be determined based on financial factors as well as parenting time.  When circumstances change for either parent, he or she may be able to request that the court modify the ordered child support.

What Circumstances Warrant a Change in Child Support?

Either parent can request that a current child support order be modified.  A change in child support obligation can be warranted under certain circumstances. Although not an exhaustive list, some changes in circumstances that may warrant a modification are:

  • increase or decrease in income;
  • increase in cost of living;
  • change in federal income tax laws; or
  • change in living arrangements, i.e. if the parent loses their home or apartment.

Although there may be a change in circumstance, it does not always mean the support order will be modified.  It is important to note that each request for modification should be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Do I Need Documentation for my Modification?

When a parent applies for a child support modification, he or she should be prepared to provide the court with all the necessary financial documentation to support his or her request.  If you have an attorney, your attorney can use that information when submitting your modification request.  The financial information can be used to determine a new child support amount.

If you plan to request a modification of your existing child support order, consult with an experienced family law attorney who can help you work towards a favorable outcome.

The Law Office of Toby Grabelle, LLC is a family and divorce law firm serving Monmouth County and all of New Jersey that would be happy to assist you in legal counsel. If you need quality legal services, contact the firm for a consultation