What can I request in my divorce?

What are some of the things I can request in my divorce complaint?

When a couple makes the decision to get divorced, they may not be sure of what the process entails other than the ending of their marriage. Luckily, with the help of an experienced divorce attorney, the complex process can be made straightforward. A lot of people have misconceptions about how to get what they want in the divorce and have no idea how the division of assets works.

When writing out your divorce complaint, which is the paperwork that allows you to start the divorce process, you will state all of your goals in the divorce. You’ll have the chance to say “this is what I want,” but you have to be aware that you won’t necessarily get everything that you include here.

Of course, you will be able to state the physical assets as well as the real and personal property, that you hope to walk away with in the equitable distribution (division of assets) process. The same goes for the monetary property. If you and your spouse have children together, you may be interested in requesting child custody and child support. If you aren’t going to be the custodial parent, perhaps you want to request visitation with the children. These are just some of the basic things people request in a divorce, but you may also want to think about requesting:

  • Personal injury damages, if injured by your spouse
  • Your spouse to pay some unpaid debts
  • Spousal support/alimony
  • Health Insurance Coverage

If you are considering divorce, contact our firm today for quality legal representation.

The Law Office of Toby Grabelle, LLC is a family and divorce law firm serving Monmouth County and all of New Jersey that would be happy to assist you in legal counsel. If you need quality legal services, contact the firm for a consultation