Can my former spouse relocate with our child?

Throughout the process of a divorce, one of the main concerns tends to be focused around the children. Parents do not want to create any unnecessary trouble in their child’s lives. They want to make sure that their child’s life is not disturbed by the divorce process. After the process is over, more concerns can arise. When spouses are no longer legally married, they may face other changes in their lives. Your former spouse could be faced with a new job opportunity. If it is their dream job that they have been working up to in their career, it can be hard to turn down. The biggest problem when this occurs is the location of your child. You do not want your child to move away from you. You may already be struggling with the concept of not seeing your child every day due to joint custody or any other arrangement you have with your former spouse. In order to deal with this emotional time, seek our professional help to decide which legal action can be best for your situation.

Child custody can cause issues even after the divorce process has ended. Parents want to be involved in their child’s life as much as possible. If you are faced with a situation where the relocation of your child is possible, you can take action to prevent this. Our firm can ensure that you will not be alone during this process if you contact us.

What can I expect when relocation is a possibility?

When courts become involved in the relocation of a child, they should act in the best interests of the child. The court should try to determine what the best option for the child is based on a variety of reasons. A relocation can have a big impact on a child’s life. If they believe it may be a negative impact, the court may rule that they are not in favor of this option.

Whether a parent has sole custody or not, a court can become involved if you take legal action. The system believes that children should still have an open form of communication with a parent that does not have custody to allow for possible rehabilitation of their relationship in the future. Visitation rights allow for this situation. When a parent wants to take the child to a different area, this may disrupt the visitation rights of the other parent. With this in mind, the court may not allow such a thing to occur.

Even when some children are too young to speak for themselves, the court tries to give them a voice by acting in their best interest. There are so many things to consider when dealing with a situation this serious. The courts must interpret the relationships the child has with each parent and how it can be affected by a move.

The New Jersey court system may try to help your child to ensure their happiness in the future. We can help make sure you are given the opportunity to be happy with their decision by providing you with representation.

The Law Office of Toby Grabelle, LLC is a family and divorce law firm serving Monmouth County and all of New Jersey that would be happy to assist you in legal counsel. If you need quality legal services, contact the firm for a consultation.