If your living situation has changed and you either pay or receive child support, you are now presumably seeking a child support modification to better suit your needs. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How is child support calculated?

Courts consider several different factors when deciding the terms of your child support. Though every case is different, some of the most common aspects of daily life that the courts may consider are as follows:

  • Whether your household has more than six children to support
  • The amount of time each parent is scheduled to spend with their children
  • Each parent’s marital status
  • Your child’s age
  • Whether a child has any special need
  • Each parent’s yearly gross income
  • Whether either parent has outstanding, unreimbursed medical bills
  • Whether a child is going to college or university

Why would a parent request a modification to change the terms of their child support?

Rather simply, life changes, and as life changes, so do the needs of our children, and ourselves, for that matter. Some of the most common reasons parents seek child support modification are as follows:

  • One of the parties has seen an increase, or a decrease, in income
  • One of the parents recently lost their home
  • The dependent parent has remarried, or otherwise cohabitates with another person, thereby warranting a decrease in payments from the supporting parent
  • One of the parents recently had a dramatic increase in their cost of living
  • One of the parents lost their job
  • The supporting parent suffered a serious injury or illness
  • There has been a change in the federal income tax law
  • The supporting parent has suffered a severe injury or illness requiring costly, continuous medical care

How do I modify my child support terms?

First, you must hire an attorney and file a motion with the courts and request a child support modification. Form here, you and your attorney will provide the courts with enough evidence to clearly demonstrate that you need the terms of your child support adjusted. With the help of an experienced attorney, you drastically increase your chances of a positive outcome. Our compassionate firm is here to help.